I’ve thieved this from Sally at Sow and Sew, partly because I agree with her choices and partly because I can do it without disturbing the Dragon snoring on my shoulder!
1. Moulin Rouge – the costumes…oh the costumes
2. The Maltese Falcon – ‘You can always get another kid, but there’s only one Maltese Falcon’
3. The Life of Brian – So right and yet so wrong
4. Return of the Jedi – Ewoks, need I say more?
5. Philadelphia Story – Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart (not to mention Katharine Hepburn)
6. Wallace and Gromit: Close Shave, Grand Day Out and The Wrong Trousers – I love stop motion animation.
7. African Queen – I saw this four or five times as a kid in the local uni’s film club, I saw it again recently and still love it.
8. Arsenic and Old Lace – I don’t do horror film, this is as close as I get.
9. Mr and Mrs Smith – I know it’s rubbish, but I can watch it over and over again.
10. Gosford Park – I love Robert Altman films, I like the fact that nothing happens for most of it.
I’m not sure why there are so many classic films in there (other than their innate qualities), but they seem to wear repeated viewing better than newer films.